This post will be a little different from the posts I normally write. I’ve been nominated for the 2017 Liebster Award, and I am happy to accept the nomination! As part of the nomination process, I’ve been asked to share some information with my readers.
First, you might be wondering what I mean when I say the Liebster Award. Here’s the definition from the award’s host site:
The Liebster Award 2017 is an award that exists only on the internet, and is given to bloggers by other bloggers. The earliest case of the award goes as far back as 2011. “Liebster” in German means sweetest, kindest, nicest, dearest, beloved, lovely, kind, pleasant, valued, cute, endearing, and welcome.
The nomination process for this award is an opportunity for beginning bloggers to introduce other beginning bloggers to each other and to their respective audiences. It’s a wonderful way to acknowledge, encourage, and support those of us just starting out in this new field.
First, A Thank You
For my nomination I want to give a big thanks to Hannah Faith. What an honor, Hannah! Thank you so much! She and I are in an online group that shares and encourages each other.
Hannah’s blog is Hannah Faith: Dropping Umbrellas, Chasing Rain. She has stepped into a new chapter for her life, feeling led that God wanted to take her blogging to a new direction sharing her faith.
I love Hannah’s mission statement for her blog (which also explains her tag line):
My hope is through my writings, you find the courage to let down what I call umbrellas. Umbrellas that harm your walk with Christ and learn to chase after His rain of promise and blessings. He is longing to drench you in His love, and my desire is for you to feel His rain with each post, prayer and promise.
Doesn’t that sound great? I think you’ll find a lot of encouragement on Hannah’s blog. I love her boldness and her desire to call women out from what holds them back so they can experience everything God has for them.
Thanks again, Hannah, for nominating me. My hope for you is that your mission will be fulfilled for every person who visits your blog.
My Favorite Blog
Ann has been so influential in my life. Her writing helped me in a very dark time and truly inspired me. She is definitely my role model for writing, blogging, and faith.
10 Random Facts
Each nominee for the Liebster award is asked to share 10 random facts about themselves to help others get to know us. So here goes!
- I love collecting cookbooks! There are probably close to 100 lining the shelves of our house. Yet, I almost never use a recipe to cook. I wing it all the time!
- 20 minutes later and I would have been born on my sister’s 14th birthday. (My mom just couldn’t wait!!!) We have celebrated our birthdays together all our lives.
- My husband and I lived in Fort Worth, Texas for 2 1/2 years right after we married. In fact, our beautiful daughter was born in Grand Prairie,Texas, between Fort Worth and Dallas.
- The color purple is definitely the best color in the world. I have a purple coffee thermos, a brand new purple spatula, a purple Bible, purple eyeglasses, and on and on.
- My very first car was a blue and white Plymouth Duster. It was known to give out halfway on my 3 hour trip from college to home. It definitely taught me how to pray!
- I came from a family line of strong women. My grandmother raised 9 children through the depression, helped my grandfather on the farm, and could arm-wrestle and beat any man who challenged her to a match!
- I used midwives for the births of all 3 of our children, two whom were born at home. And I was such an advocate for breastfeeding that I became a La Leche League leader for our local group.
- I love musicals! Especially the old ones. The Sound of Music and White Christmas are my favorites. My husband doesn’t like musicals, so anytime I have the chance to see one is a real treat!
- When economic times are tough, I know how to use a coupon and how to find the sale that goes with it! I do love a bargain!
- Sports have never been my thing. In the 7th grade, my nose was broken trying to catch a softball (that I didn’t even catch). And in high school, doing the 2 mile event for our track team, I think I was next to last in every meet. But it was fun!
Hannah’s Questions for Me
1. What inspired you to start your blog?
I think I’ve wanted to do a blog for a really long time but just never had the confidence to do it. After a lifetime of low self-esteem and many struggles, I found help a few years ago and began learning to see myself as God sees me. He truly transformed my life! I felt like my only right response was to help other women be free as well. Over a period of months, I became more convinced that I really did love to write, I really did have a message, and I really did want to make Him known to other women and to make Him known by them as well. Around this time, I heard about a blogging course called Elite Blog Academy and enrolled. I was committed then! There has been a steep learning curve for me at the age of 54, but I’m loving it!
2. For what in your life do you feel most grateful?
I have much to be grateful for, especially with my children, but I am most grateful for being able to connect with the presence of the Lord. Having lived so much of my life wrapped up in anxiety and fear and doubt and self-introspection feeling I never measured up, I rarely heard God’s voice or felt His nearness. Now that the chatter is out of my head and my eyes have been opened to the truth, I am amazed at how He is always connecting with me. He speaks in ways I would have never dreamed and encourages me deep in my spirit. I am so thankful for His presence.
3. Give a tip for other bloggers or blog starters.
I’m not sure I’m the right one to do this since I’m such a newbie myself, but I think I would say get all the training you possibly can. There is a LOT to learn about blogging and it can seem overwhelming. The blogging community is so generous in being willing to help. Take courses, get in groups and learn from those who are more experienced, and ask questions. Lots of questions. Don’t be embarrassed. We all ask lots of questions and continue to learn.
4. Does blogging replace or enhance journaling?
I keep my own version of a bullet journal where I record goals and keep a daily log and a gratitude list. I also keep a prayer journal of sorts, where I write out things I believe the Lord is speaking to me and what I tell Him. So blogging definitely doesn’t replace my journalling. As for enhancing journalling, I have found that in writing my content, it helps me to flesh out the things I’ve been learning but maybe haven’t put into words yet.
5. Who inspires you to travel this world?
My husband loves to travel and his desire to see the world has given me the motivation to do it as well. I tend to be a homebody, and it would be far too easy for me to just stay put at home. But I have found that as we travel, we meet the most delightful people and hear the most wonderful stories. We have the chance to see more of nature that’s different from what we’ve seen. We eat wonderfully different foods and we learn about history and culture. Now I’m ready to pack my bags any chance I can!
6. If you could give someone a $1,000,000, who would you give it to?
I would give it to someone who could design, build, and develop a facility that would help empower women who need a new start in life. This facility would have apartments for women who have come out of abusive relationships and have nowhere to go or for women who’ve been victimized in other ways. There would be opportunities in this facility for women to learn skills that they could use to find employment. And there would be people there who could give them the spiritual and emotional counseling they would need to overcome all that might hold them back.
7. Name the 3 top most beautiful beaches you’ve visited.
I’m not really a beach girl, but I have seen some beautiful ones. When I was in high school, I had the opportunity to go with a school group to Spain. Our last place to visit there was on the southern coast and it was beautiful. My husband and I went to France for our 30th anniversary several years ago and we had the chance to walk on the beach in Nice, France. The water there was unbelievably clear and such a beautiful turquoise blue (although the beach itself was mostly rocks). And when our children were young, we had the chance to visit a beach closer to home called Sunset Beach in NC. It was a very small quiet beach with almost no tourist activity, so the peaceful evening sunsets were quite amazing.
8. Do you think education, as it is today, does justice to life and learning?
I was an educator for a good bit of my life, beginning as a first grade public school teacher, and then taught our children in homeschool for about 15 years, until each of them were old enough to go to public high school. I have many mixed feelings about education. While I believe public education is vital for so many children who would otherwise never have the opportunity to learn, I do believe there is a lack in the teaching of practical skills and more importantly a lack of motivation to inspire students to learn on their own.
9. When do you find time to blog?
Any chance I can get! I was a stay-at-home mom for years and now am a stay-at home wife. I usually try to get household and gardening work done in the mornings and then use the afternoons and often the evenings to work on writing posts, connecting with social media, and reading and learning everything I can about blogging!
10. What is that one post made by you that you like the most, and why?
It would be the very first post I wrote called Self-Esteem and the Christian Woman. This is near and dear to my heart because of my struggles with low self-esteem. I not only talk about our worth but also how it’s really okay as a Christian women to want to feel good about ourselves. We are far too quick to speak negatively to ourselves and about ourselves, thinking that it’s more spiritual to do so. I say, no, no, no! Feeling good about ourselves actually frees us from being self-focused, frees us from the incessant brain noise that keeps us in turmoil, and frees us to think more about others.
11. If you could be any superhero, who would you be and why?
I would have to be Wonder Woman. I haven’t seen the current movie, but I watched the TV show with Linda Carter when I was a child. I loved her! She was such a wonderful mix of feminine beauty, grace, and kindness combined with such strength and power to rescue people and help them overcome whatever obstacles were in their way. I believe God wants all of His daughters to be wonder women!
Now It’s My Turn to Nominate
»Laura Mapstead of NaturalHealingHope.com
Laura speaks from a place of experience and encouragement as she helps her readers find hope through alternative ways to health and healing. Her story will inspire you, and her positive affirming steps and ideas will motivate you in your journey to good health.
»Jennifer Holt of HappyTeacherMama.com
Jennifer writes from experience as having been both a public school teacher and now a homeschool teacher of her 2 boys. Her beautiful faith-filled blog gives tons of practical tips and products for teachers and just the encouragement needed to keep going.
»Kimberley Evers of KimberlyJoyAuthor.com
Kimberley is a brand new blogger with a heart to encourage over-worked and stressed-out women in their daily lives. She writes in a devotional style full of passion, humor, and love for the Lord.
»Mary Smith of CoffeeandMoxie.com
Mary’s blog is the place to go to help you conquer your goals and get your life and home organized. She shares from her heart and her faith as she encourages you to accomplish what brings you joy.
»Sandra Engelland of PlumPrairieRanch.com
Sandra writes to help herself stay organized as she tackles the many projects of her ranch life. Her honest and personable blog offers help with practical DIYs as well as tips for physical, mental, and spiritual health..
Information Just For My Nominees:
Here are my 11 questions for you!
- For what in your life do you feel most grateful?
- Given the choice of any foods in the world, what would be your perfect meal?
- Give a tip for other bloggers that helped you starting out.
- What is your favorite book and why?
- What is one healthy habit that makes you feel your best?
- If you could travel to anywhere in the world, where would you go?
- What is that one post made by you that you like the most and your reason for writing it?
- If you could have a coffee and a chat with a famous woman of the past, who would it be and why?
- What is one thing for which you want to be remembered?
- If you could be any superhero, who would you be?
- What is one thing in the world you would change if you could?
And The Rules for Nominees:
If you have been nominated for The Liebster Award AND YOU CHOOSE TO ACCEPT IT, write a blog post about the Liebster award in which you should do the following:
- Thank the person who nominated you, and put a link to their blog on your blog. Try to include a little promotion for the person who nominated you. They will thank you for it and those who you nominate will also help you out as well.
- Display the award on your blog — by including it in your post and/or displaying it using a “widget” or a “gadget”. (Note that the best way to do this is to save the image to your own computer and then upload it to your blog post. You can find these images here.)
- For the 2017 Liebster Award, write a 150-300 word post about your favourite blog that is not your own. Explain why you like the blog and provide links.
- Provide 10 random facts about yourself. (This is optional for this year. If you wish to engage with your readers it’s a great idea to include random facts about you.)
- Answer my 11 questions in your post.
- Nominate 5 – 11 blogs that you feel deserve the award, who have less than 200 followers. (Note that you can always ask the blog owner this since not all blogs display a widget that lets the readers know this information!)
- List these rules in your post Once you have written and published it, you then have to:
- Inform the people/blogs that you nominated that they have been nominated for the Liebster award. Provide a link for them to your post (or mine if you don’t have all the information) so that they can learn about it. Post a comment in the comments below to let me know you’ve done this.
If you have been nominated before at any time, please share the love. Many people believe the Liebster award is similar to a chain email/letter and while it may share similarities, the underlining idea is to help promote each others’ blogs.
For more information about the Liebster Award, you can go here.